.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Veritatis Splendor

"Keep your eyes fixed upon Jesus, who inspires and perfects our faith" --Hebrews 12:2


Pope Benedict XVI before our Lord

And only where God is seen does life truly begin. Only when we meet the living God in Christ do we know what life is. We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution.
Each of us is the result of a thought of God.
Each of us is willed,
each of us is loved,
each of us is necessary.
There is nothing more beautiful than to be surprised by the Gospel, by the encounter with Christ. There is nothing more beautiful than to know Him and to speak to others of our friendship with Him.
~Pope Benedict XVI, Homily April 24th, 2005



Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Lasts of Life

We all know that Scripture verse where our Lord warns us to be always ready, for we know not the day or the hour. But not many of us really live our life like each moment could be our last. Lately, as I've realized that my entrance into the Benedictines of Mary is less than a month away, I've been struck anew by the power of possibility of "last". Last dinner with a friend, last time driving a certain route, last time eating at a favorite restaurant, last, last, last.

Oh yeah, last final exam tomorrow - I just realized that again.

And yet, amidst all these supposed lasts, it is this story that inspired this post, and has helped me put everything in perspective once more.

Those people were going about their business at 2:30pm - how many of them were living that moment like it could be their last? How many of us are right now?

Prayer for Final Perseverance
O sovereign and eternal God, I thank You for having created me; for having redeemed me by means of Jesus Christ; for having made me a Christian by calling me to the true faith, and giving me time to repent after the many sins I have committed. O Infinite Goodness, I love You above all things; and I repent with all my heart of all my offences against You. I hope You hast already pardoned me; but I am continually in danger of again offending You. For the love of Jesus Christ, I beg of You holy perseverance till death. You know my weakness; help me, then, and permit me never again to separate myself from You. Rather let me die a thousand times, than ever again to lose Your grace. O Mary, my Mother, obtain for me holy perseverance! Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Fra Angelico's Annunciation